An Artile was published on July 2015 at RECODE  which introcuded some of the AI Pioneers of Silicon Valley. The article called them as the “Canadian Mafias “ of Silicon Valley, which was fascinating.
Based on the story I am highlighting the players in Today’s AI a.k.a CANADIAN MAFIA'S. They may be already listed in some answers but this answer happens to be a profile sharing in curiosity.
- Tomi Poutanen CoFounder and CTO of Milq.Inc, Tomi Graduated did his Dissertation on Neural Network from University of Toronto.
- Geoffrey Hinton Insctuctor of Tomi Poutanen and also known as the Godfather of neural network is one of the first researchers who demonstrated the use of generalized backpropagation algorithm for training multi-layer neural nets. He is an important figure in the deep learning community.
- Yann LeCun  and Yoshua Bengio  and Hinton were three visionary Researchers who continiued their research on Netral Netowrks in their own labs even in the demoralizing AI WINTER was going on.
- Rob Fergus  Associate Professor at NYU former LeCun colleague is working as Research Scientis at Facebook AI Research.
- Juergen Schmidhuber , a Swiss AI researcher also know as vocal critic of the Canadian Mafias has generated many Researchers in the field of AI.
The effects and advancement in the field of AI will soon be realized all over the world